No, seriously. Ever since Joomla! 3.x became a stable version, long before the Joomla! Team announced doing away with the Long Term & Short Term release cycles, we tried our hand at upgrading our site from the current 2.5.x version to 3.x.
Needless to say, every attempt resulted in the infamous "White Screen of Death"! And believe me, we tried many times. Due to our resource limitations and lack of available time to work on our own site, the update was tabled for a later date.
A few months later... We couldn't give up; we knew that sooner or later (hopefully sooner) we would have to get our site upgraded. So, the next step was to create our new site from the beginning. A brand new JoomLadds.com was born. If you are interested in our progress, please read on...
We have been hard at work updating our Constant Contact Signup Majix Pro Module. Not only have we added many new features, but this version is the first to have OAuth2 Authentication built in. The older version of authentication that the Constant Contact API used was basic, which required account holders to enter their Constant Contact Username & Password into the module settings and those credentials were stored in the Joomla database in order access their account information. With OAuth2, you are now able to register your website with Constant Contact by granting access to your account, much the same way that Facebook connects with external websites and applications.
We have begun upgrading our extensions to be Joomla 3.0 R3ADY!
So far, the updates have been minor, and we're hoiping to have all extensions ready by 2013.
Our current roadmap is to update all of our Commercial (for-a-fee) extension by the end of November 2012. Then as time permits, continue with the rest until we're all done.
Please do not hesitate to drop us an email if there are any extesnions that you can't live without and need us to bump them to the head of the line.
The JoomLadds Team
This is the process in which we upgraded our forum from Agora to Kunena, and the issues we encountered.
As always, the first thing we did was install everything on our development server. Next, we followed the directions given by Kunena to perform the conversion from Agora to Kunena which included installing an older version (1.5.14) because the latest (1.6.3) was not compatible with the converter. That's where our first issue showed up. We could not get Kunena 1.5.14 to install. We searched Google for some answers, but found none. Somedays you win and find exactly what you need, other days you give up only to try again later.
Later came and we found a post that said to download Kunena 1.5.13 instead. We had a little trouble finding it (mostly because our frustration level was high and we didn't read the directions thoroughly) but once we did and installed it, everything fell right into place. Next, we installed the Kunena Converter and ran the process to migrate Agora. Worked like a charm. The last step was to upgrade the Kunena installed version of 1.5.13 to the latest (1.6.3) That went well too!
One day out of the blue (so we thought) all of our downloads broke. No one could access any of our downloads via the DocMan 1.5 component. After two days of server migration (actually moving our site to a different host) and troubleshooting, this is what we found:
I had forgotten two of the most helpful tools in debugging any system:
1) Error Logs and messages
2) Asking myself the question: "What was the last thing I changed?"
I have found the practice of setting the Joomla "Error Reporting" Global Configuration to "System Default" to be good. However, when I need it, I forget to change it to something more useful, like "Maximum".
We recently had a client who needed to convert their WordPress website to Joomla. Their forum was vBulletin and they used aMember to manager their users. During our initial research, we discovered there was not a direct migration path to Kunena, however, we found that migration was still possible if we converted vBulletin to phpBB3, then to FireBoard (a predecessor to Kunena). Once we had a Joomla 1.5 website set up with FireBoard and a successfully migrated forum, we upgraded to Kunena 1.6.x. (We hope to add basic instructions as to what we did at a later time)
We ended up having to modify the phpBB3 converter script so that the aMember user data was imported into JomSocial (the replacement of aMember) along with making changes to the converter for phpBB3 to FireBoard. All in all, we were very happy with the results.
One of our clients needed a way to automatically create user profiles on their Joomla website from records that are created in their FileMaker Pro database by the sales staff. Once their new members have signed up in the office, they can 'flip a switch' that now automatically creates their Community Builder Profile. Once the new members arrive home, their profile is waiting for them, all they have to do is confirm their email address and they are ready to log in.
We found this article of interest discussing one of the newest features in Joomla 2.5
Give it a read...
We have found the Joomla Extension " ReDJ" highly useful, not only for our websites, but for our clients as well.
We had a site that required us to map every page that the client had created in XOOPS, and although we were able to accomodate most page names simply using the 'alias' of an article and menu, this component allowed us to remap the entire site without one broken link.